Monday, July 12, 2010

Cooking Aboard





Dinner on Sunday, July 11th was Seafood Chowder made with part of the salmon caught on The Fat Salmon fishing trip.


Delicious!!!


I have been very surprised at my interest in cooking on the boat as I have discovered how enjoyable it is in a very different environment. As I combine the ingredients of a recipe I am looking out the windows at the boats in the harbor, taking in the views and up pops the head of a seal. I wonder if this is the same seal I have observed or a new one to greet me. I spot an eagle swooping down gracefully and watch its landing. A great blue heron takes flight and I marvel at it's prehistorical looking shape and form. Boats pass us on their way out the harbor. Yesterday a small sailboat passing with a young man at the stern and a young girl reading a book leisurely making their way around the bulkhead. The next boat a couple of men looking intent on getting out, anticipating the catch of day as their rods look ready to drop into the water. So, with this ever changing scenery before me I go about completing my recipe.

Salads have been popular, made beforehand and waiting in the refrigerator. A garbanzo bean, goat cheese, beet combo and a black bean and orange salad did not last nearly as long as I had thought it would as we consumed them with gusto. One of our gals is following a gluten free diet so these salads meet that request. Becky's homemade Caesar salad was accompanied with oohs and ahhs. I made a pasta salad. (side note to my favorite son-in-law, "what would a picnic be without one") Salads have also made the perfect accompaniment to the salmon and the Dolly Varden catch.

As I explore the cabinets and refrigerator I am truly amazed at how much food is stored on this boat. A large cooler on the aft deck and a small portable freezer on the upper flybridge, that Becky has brought from her boat, increase the storage capability Having joined this adventure in progress I was not present when the food was purchased and brought aboard so I need to ask Andrea or Becky about ingredients we have on hand. "Yep, we have that!" has been the common response. And the array of wonderful delicious ingredients abounds. I am sure we could anchor out and live off the food on this boat for a couple of months. HHHMMM......don't worry family, I miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. As I read about your meals I realize just how much I miss Andrea's wonderful cooking. It sounds like all four of you gals have been blessed with the art of preparing fine cuisine. I am seeing the same kind of food here at home as long as I have the food channel turned on. I am very happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete